Only a couple of viruses cause a majority of kitten colds. As long as your kitten is up to date with her vaccinations, she should be protected against the virus.
What should I look out for?
Three classic indicators of kitten cold are:
- Goo in her eyes
- Gunk coming out of her nose
- Loss of appetite
What to do?
- Colds are very contagious. If you have other cats, keep them isolated.
- She may not want to eat much, so ensure that your kitten has plenty of fresh food and water available. Keep her warm and if required heat her food just a bit above room temperature.
- Never ever give her over-the-counter medicine meant for humans. Please consult your vet if you are considering medication
- Since most of the symptoms are mild, they should respond to careful nursing even at home. Don’t forget to pamper her plenty!
- In case you need any more advice or reassurance, speak to your vet.